Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself. Every year, I use this activity, Putting the Ions in Their Hands with my students. I've used it for classes ranging from eighth grade physical science to college chemistry. Make print copies of the two data sheets. Print the Ion Formula Chart on card stock in a bright color. Then print the cations on to card stock in a different color. (Mine are red.) Finally, print the anions on to card stock in a third color. (Mine are blue.) (No, I’m not color blind. When I made the sets below, I used the card stock I had on hand.) Cut out the ions before class. I made several sets for my Co-op class. I draw the first sample ionic compound, aluminum chloride on the white board with red and blue dry erase markers. The kids make up the ionic compounds with the cards and write the formulas. I work with kids on the tricky ones. Lastly, I have them make up three or four different ionic compounds on their own. I'll post photos when the kids make their compounds.
It sounds like a lot of work to make the copies, buy card stock, etc. (eBay sells small lots of card stock. It’s more costly per sheet; however, if you don’t use card stock often, a small lot makes more sense.) Below is a set of the nomenclature cards. I copied the cations, anions, and ion chart on to card stock with an ink-jet printer. Use two colors of card stock: one for the cations and one for the anions. The original kit from Flinn Scientific has red for the cations and blue for the anions. I like to print the ion chart on to card stock, too. It's easier for the kids to locate when they have a bunch of tables, copies, etc. on their tables or desks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment