As soon as my kids complete the topics in Module 1, we are going to start learning ionic and covalent formulas which are located in Modules 3 and 5 of Apologia Chemistry. We will do Module 2 in the spring right before Gas Laws.
In fact, my kids are memorizing 50 key elements in the Periodic Table; they made element cards as a summer assignment before class began. I’m testing them each day at the beginning of class several times. Why? One reason is parents and students associate the Periodic Table with learning Chemistry. The other reason is that kids need to know the names of the elements before they can name and write formulas, identify types of reactions, and balance equations. So, I do these topics sequentially. I also alternate qualitative topics such as periodic trends, atomic theory etc. with quantitative material such as moles and Stoichiometry.
So, as soon as the kids have memorized the key elements, reviewed all of the math topics in Module 1, we are launching into Module 3 ionic formula nomenclature and a lab introducing chemical reactions. I’ll keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment