Friday, September 20, 2019

Apologia Human Anatomy or Biology: Speakers

We just concluded the last Human Biology class that ran over the summer.  Wilkie’s mom is a nurse.  She came in and delivered an extensive nursing assessment.  I ran summer science camps for our church; previously, I ran science camps at private schools.  Home-school friends had asked me to lead summer science camps.  Our priest allowed us to run the camps, which followed VBS.  I had enough teen and adult help.  We tried to keep the camp size down to about 40.  The same families came every year.  We had a different theme each summer.  I invited community members to help with the program.  For example, we had a police officer lead a station about mapping a crime scene for CSI camp.  The summer we had Anatomy Academy, we had nurses from our church teach the kids how to take blood pressures and an ambulance.  The EMT toured the kids through the ambulance and taught them how EMTs put people on to stretchers.  He let the kids take turns.   When we had a nature camp, the local forester led the kids through the woods behind the church and taught tree identification.  The church’s Boy Scout troop taught knots.  I scheduled a local wildlife rehabilitation group to bring animal ambassadors.  The kids loved the skunk. An environmentalist taught the kids how to collect and test pond water.  (That summer camp, I had a different guest every day.)   I paid $250 for the wildlife group.  Otherwise, local leaders were volunteers.  The forester, environmentalist,  police officer, and EMT, often volunteer to promote community relations.

If you are teaching Human Anatomy, consider your local resources.  In our area, there is a rescue station that host Scout troops.  I know the kids could learn more about EMTs.  I would think about teaching the kids CPR and First Aid.  

When I looked for help or speakers, I started with my church.  I did teach locally; I sponsored a large environmental club.  I wrote a number of grants and partnered with several agencies.  So, the Nature camp was a cinch.  Forestry, Trouts Unlimited and Soil and Water Conservation agencies often have education specialists.  Typically, they can bring Enviroscapes and ground water models to demonstrate.  Water specialists can teach how to identify macroinvertebrates and how to test water.  They have the supplies.  Start with the Soil and Water Conservation education specialist.  They usually have a number of local contacts.  Just call and explain that you would like to plan a field trip to the creek.  Ask what models they have.  Many have a watershed model from Enviroscape.  Ask the educator for help.  Tell her about your Co-op group, their ages, topics of interest, and ask what materials she has to share.  Really!  Outreach is her job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...