Thursday, January 30, 2020

Apologia Chemistry: Extra Labs and Activities for Atoms

Three of the kids in my class of eight have finished the Stoich lab and are writing up the lab report.  The two boys at SeaPearch will do the lab Tuesday.  Three other kids are still doing mole problems and are not ready for the lab.  Everyone is going to do the POGIL Nuclear Atom activity at home.  (I had hoped to do it together in class. (Key))  On Tuesday, the three kids who have finished the Stoich lab are weighing the precipitate and calculating the percent error.  Then, they are doing two labs and filming demos for the rest of the class.  (I'll post the videos when they finish.)  The two labs are Drawing a Scale Model of the Atom and the experiment in Module 5 Measure a Molecule (This link is similar to the lab in the text.  The kids will follow the directions from the book.)  The kids will do the labs and debate what the labs mean before they film demos.  These three are substantially ahead of the rest of the class.  I like to give kids in this position meaningful activities.

During my career, I filmed labs frequently.  (I had release forms I distributed at the beginning of the year.)  Kids like to film.  I upload the videos to my Youtube channel; I can embed the videos into the blog.  Videos are an excellent way to assess understanding of any topic.  I used to film kids during lab and ask them to explain the purpose of the lab.  Consider making a video as an alternate assessment in your class.


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...