Thursday, January 16, 2020
Human Biology: Organic Review
Anna and I are working through Biochemistry. This week we are reviewing basic Organic nomenclature: Organic Naming WS (key) and 10.7 WS (key). We began instruction with alkanes. Organic chemistry nomenclature begins with alkanes because the base names, methane, ethane, propane, etc also form the basis for many substituent groups, such as methyl, ethyl, and propyl groups. I always use these organic naming worksheets first; they include several means to represent the same compound. (Drawing Organic Molecules). Get out your molecular model kit. Build the simple models first. Anna and I have built a number of complicated models recently. I built a simple model of hexane to show how the molecule is three dimensional; either end can be number 1. Here are more instructions. Go slowly and do loads of examples.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment