Tuesday, July 27, 2021
Why are cells so small?
The second module in Biology is Cells. One important topic is cell size or why cells are so small, essentially a surface area to golf each ratio. How do you teach this? My plan is to start with Candy Coated Biology and let the kids compare different sized M&M candy. I hope I can find mega M&Ms. My goal is to use Cell Size, Surface Area and Volume to drive home the idea that cells are small to increase the surface area for the transfer of ions, glucose, oxygen, and wastes across the membrane. We made need to measure different cubes to understand the how bigger cubes have less surface area. I’m going down to the basement to pull dice and boxes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment