Let me share a few more resources. I’m mapping the Physical Science Course to teach in two years. While I’m at it, I might as well post some helpful links. First, this Forces and Motion Overview is outstanding and loaded with videos, graphics, and terms, sadly few labs. My husband, Rob, teaches Physics. He had one-meter boards cut at Lowes he uses as ramps. (Meter sticks are too narrow.) Rob does tons of simple labs. (He likes to use tennis balls or the pinky ball.) Here is Hot Wheels Speedometry and below are a few labs.
1. Rolling Along examines linear motion, distance vs time, velocity vs time, and acceleration vs time—all with balls and a ramp.
2. Speed, Velocity, and Acceleration is another good introductory lab.
3. Intro to Motion uses a motion detector. SPARK Lab is one type. Create motion graphs. I have Pasco Spark devices, which collect data. The Spark has labs loaded on to the system. Add a motion detector and you are ready to go. Here is a description. You can use an Airline (Bluetooth) (and here) interface to connect with an iPad. The issue is with the app. The app continuously updates and may not include older iPads. I finally bought the older Spark systems with the labs loaded, instead. Kids love to play with the motion detector. One tip: the motion detector has a switch for cart or human. Have it in the right position for your lab.
Lastly, here is my lesson overview.






No comments:
Post a Comment