I’ve only taught AP Biology once, which is ironic; Bio was my undergrad major. There are always other teachers who wanted the course. For years I did keep up on the course and attended workshops. It’s one course I could do with some prep. Here is the course description and here is the lab manual. There used to be mandatory labs. Here are the latest FRQs. All the AP Science courses were revamped to embrace Big Ideas and to make the courses more accessible. The recommended textbooks, a sample syllabus are located here. Campbell and Mader are both very, very popular. Teachers who want to access any AP materials must submit an AP syllabus which is audited. This enables access to older FRQs, questions, etc. described here. ( It took me hours to create a suitable syllabus for APES.)
The only area of the AP Bio course which really gives me pause is the Biotech part. I’ve only done DNA Gel Electrophoresis once during a week-long training program. Yes, it does mean relearning chi squares. (See M & Ms Statistics for a quick refresher.). If you want to teach an AP Biology once Co-op course, take a Summer Institute. You may want to buy a copy of the AP Bio POGIL book. Use the Khan Academy Course. One tip I learned at a workshop was to teach using a 200 level, college textbook, but let the kids use a 100 level textbook for their reading. Campbell Biology and Biology in Focus are leaner and used for introductory courses. (I went to many workshops; my colleague loathed them. I didn’t mind. I always picked up new ideas.) Here is a breakdown of the key topics for AP Bio to study, Campbell PowerPoint Slideshows, AP Video Essentials, Animations, Biology Olympiad exams (for extra questions), FRQs, Tips for FRQs, and Teacher Resources.
AP Bio has been around a looonnnng time. The teacher websites, such as Collier Classroom are loaded with material. Biology is detailed. You and your students are in for a great deal of work. You will want cheaper labs, too. The Biology Corner has AP Biology Labs with simulations and a Lab Manual for teachers. You might want this article about writing scientific papers. There is a QSL Advanced Biology Lab Kit.


No comments:
Post a Comment