Wednesday, December 10, 2025

Tell me more about microscale labs in Chemistry.

I do microscale labs whenever I can.  Why?  I can do more labs.  They are cheaper and safer.  Usually, even the chemicals are diluted—which means they last longer.   The equipment is cheap and fun to use: reaction plates, Petrie dishes, pencil lead, dropper bottles,  cassette cases, and transfer pipettes.  I use craft sticks and toothpicks as stir sticks.  You can cut a straw to make a scoop.  Everything is tiny and cute!  Start with microscale labs!  Don’t drag out expensive equipment first!  You’ll diminish the fun of microscale labs.

Here is a good introduction to microscale.) Sign up for an account with the Royal Society of Chemistry to find loads of articles, such as Apparatus and Techniques.  UNESCO has a program which promotes microscale chemistry experiments to developing countries.  Here is a microscale experiment lab manual.  It uses a kit from Radmaste.  I just ordered 12 sets from eBay for next year’s class.  I am so excited!  The kits should have micro burners!  We’ll see if they’re safe or not.  Flinn Scientific sells a micro burner for $10.  However, Flinn will NOT ship to homes.  They will ship to a church office.  I have made calls with their customer service department and explained that the class was taught at the church.  They were willing to ship directly to the church.





I bought five MicroChem kits for next year’s class, too.  I’m anticipating a large group.  Each team can have a Radmaste kit to house basic equipment. It gives teens ownership in the class.  If you buy a used MicroChem kit be sure it has the lab manual.  


Do more labs!  Have more fun!  Rig your own microscale equipment!  Let your teen improvise!  By all means do more labs!





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...