Energy is a vast topic. Are there labs I’ve overlooked? I was at a workshop when the presenter demonstrated a conductometer. (There are cheaper ones on Amazon.)
I had never seen one before. (Here is a lab for heat conduction.) I’ve taught Physical Science many times and had never heard of the devise, which measure melting point. (BTW, this lab dovetails well with properties of matter: density and specific heat.) Let me share a few good labs when you tackle Heat, or Temperature. Here is my introductory presentation.
1. Calibrate a Thermometer Use both the Ice and Boiling water methods. Dig out all of your thermometers around the house.
2. Matter on the Move Watch food coloring in hot and cold water.
3. Heating Curve of Water Start with ice and boil it. Check temperatures as the solid ice melts. Yes, this is like watching paint dry.
4. Heat, Temperature, and Conduction. You put washers in hot water. Try boiling the washers and put them in room temperature water, or freezing the washers.
5. Heat Capacity of Pennies 1983 and newer pennies are mainly zinc. Pre-1982 pennies are mainly copper. 1982 coins might be either zinc or copper.
6. Soda Can Calorimeter You burn food and raise the temperature of water.
7. Hot and Cold Packs Lab Home Science Tools sells both calcium chloride and ammonium nitrate. Driveway Heat is mainly calcium chloride.

No comments:
Post a Comment