I have taught in private and public schools before I taught home-school Co-op classes. When I taught in private schools, the upper school science teachers determined the lower school curriculum. Consequently, I have evaluated a number of STEM kits, curricula, and programs. The best science series for elementary age children is Apologia Young Explorers Science Series. I taught the Anatomy and Physiology program to a co-op group with children ages six to eleven. My husband, Rob taught the Chemistry and Physics program. I have evaluated the Zoology series when I reviewed portfolios for friends. The Young Explorers series is outstanding.
When I taught the Anatomy program, we used the notebooking journals—both Junior and regular journals. The kids did most of the Try-it’s in the book. I did add some activities, such as diy blood with red water beads, bits of plastic felt platelets, and ping pong ball white cells. The Chem and Physics program has loads of hands-on activities. Most of my favorite demos are in the book, such as periodic table cookies. Both programs offer robust curricula—provided you do the activities. Home Science Tools has both the Anatomy ($27) and Chem and Physics ($89) lab kits on sale now.
Carolina Biological and the Smithsonian have developed STEM programs for elementary and middle school aged children. They kits are uniformly excellent; they are also extremely expensive—$1400 to $2500. We used these kits at the elementary level; the teachers relied on these kits for science instruction. We did use Delta Science Simple Machines for a fifth grade science module because the unit teaches gear ratios. This kit is about $500.
Most STEM kits and programs are weak. One exception is Makey Makey. We bought a kit for $50. It was easy to use and kits well with a unit on electricity. We bought this hydraulic kit specifically for hydraulic demonstrations. Generally, I do not think STEM kits or STEM subscription kits are good values. Look carefully at the contents in most kits.
What is your best bet for elementary science instruction? Find the Apologia Young Explorer books and notebooks on sale on eBay or Amazon. Do the activities outlined in the books. You may need to order materials such as lamp sockets or magnifying glasses. But, I bet you have balloons and modeling clay already on hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment