Friday, September 15, 2023

Biology on a Budget: Molecules

 Okay, I’ve written a few posts about molecules, too.  Several years ago I invested in Lab-aids Molecules of Life and DNA Modeling kit.  I teach Bio regularly for the local Co-op.  You might be teaching Biology only once or twice.  I encourage you to have the kids build their molecules.  Here is the POGIL Biological Molecules (Key) 

Here are instructions for building a glucose molecule with mini-marshmallows.  These instructions use the line drawing (below) and show how to build glucose.

Substitute small balls of clay for the marshmallows.  (Below is an example from Reddit.)  Carbon is usually black and hydrogen is usually white.  Oxygen is usually blue or red.  Hydrogen molecules are much smaller than oxygen and carbon.  Attach the small balls of clay with toothpicks.  


Below is the line drawing for fructose.


Just below is a 3D printed model of fructose.  N.B. the red balls are oxygen.


Once you see who the line drawings correspond to the ‘ball and stick’ model (clay and toothpick), go back to the top for the Biomolecules worksheets to build.  You and your teen can build these molecules.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...