Have you ever seen the caption, ‘You have visited this page many, many times.’ under a Google search? I’ve written about microscopes, many, many times. What the heck! You might be new here!
I teach Biology regularly to the local Co-op, whenever we need a class. I have invested in several microscopes because the class size varies. This year’s class is small; some classes have 18 students. I have a large box of slides, too. I’ve even tried toy microscopes—one of the home-school student’s dad like to bid on huge lots and won 60 microscopes.
What do I recommend? Have your teen memorize the parts of the microscope. Here is a sample quiz. I recommend buying a digital microscope which attaches with a USB cable to a laptop. These digital, USB microscopes are available for about $10. A box of 25 slides are also about $10. For $20 you have enough slides and sufficient microscopic resolution for high school level biology. Basically, kids should be able to focus a microscope on a slide, take a screenshot, and label and sketch the image. My undergrad, biology classes required identifying organisms or tissues on slides; most of the time was spent viewing and sketching.
Buy the USB microscope from Amazon or Walmart. Plug it into your laptop. It should connect immediately to the laptop’s camera. If it doesn’t, it means the microscope is NOT compatible with the laptop. (I have no idea why this happens.) Try another brand and return the original to Walmart or Amazon. I have a box of USB microscopes; my kids just switch to another brand.
Does your teen want to pursue a science or healthcare career? Call the local community college or university. Ask for a tour of the science department. Ask the science department to give you a demonstration with their microscopes and spectrophotometers. Check your library, too. Our local library has Celestron digital microscopes; the librarians show kids how to use them. Ironically, the library did not have any slides. I gave them a box. One more note. I have a box of the colorful, elementary slides, too. We use them initially when I introduce the microscope. I wing or leg is easier to focus. I also use dollars and foreign currency—much more interesting than the letter ‘e’ slide.












No comments:
Post a Comment