My Bio class just finished Can Yeast Digest Lactose? Now I have extra Lactaid enzyme tablets. So, I looked for another lab. Here is an enzyme lab with milk, Lactaid, and Benedict’s solution, which changes color in the presence of sugars. Don’t buy a big bottle of Benedict’s solution because it has a limited shelf life. Enzymes also have a limited shelf life, which is why I’m hunting for labs to use up the Lactaid tablet enzymes. Since I’m doing an enzyme lab soon, I might as well pick up a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and do this Potato Enzyme Lab. (This catalase enzyme lab uses liver, potato, and celery.). Some catalase enzyme labs use apple pieces, too.
Now you also have extra hydrogen peroxide (3%), which also has a short shelf life. Do this lab, A Reaction Involving the Production of a Gas. The lab uses hydrogen peroxide and yeast. (Add a bit of dish soap to increase the foam.). The yeast has an enzyme to break down hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen gas. Here are instructions for testing CO2, H2, and O2. Oxygen gas is highly flammable. Light a splint and extinguish the wooden splint. Put the glowing splint into the foam. The splint will relight.
If you still have leftover hydrogen peroxide and yeast, try this version of Elephant’s toothpaste.




No comments:
Post a Comment