Sunday, October 12, 2025

Are you qualified to teach?

 Did you know that many private school teachers do not have teacher certifications?  Usually they have college degrees.  Guess what?  They may teach subjects outside their discipline.  I’ve know math teachers with engineering degrees.  They felt comfortable teaching the subjects outside their.  Yes, it is nice to have content knowledge.  But, I know many teachers who had to develop mastery in their own.  When I first started teaching in a private school, I was assigned Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, and Earth Science.  Yes, my undergrad was in Biology; I had a concentration in Chemistry.  The subjects I had in Chemistry had no relationship to the Chemistry content in high school.  I hadn’t had Physics, Geology, or Earth Science, at all.  This is very comm9n.  Teachers are often called to teach outside their content area.  So what?  Do you have a college degree?  You have already demonstrated persistence.  I’m betting you could pick up a textbook and learn to teach the contents in just about any discipline.  (Okay, foreign languages and Physics are tough to teach.)  I was asked to teach a Composition class along with several science classes in a private school.  The course was fine.  Since I had that experience, I wasn’t afraid to teach British Literature with the Co-op.  Take courage!  No, the first time is going to feel awkward.  You’ll gain confidence as you move ahead with the subject.  Just think how profitable it will be for your Co-op to have another instructor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...