I have three reaources I use every time I teach kids how to name ionic compounds in Chemistry class. First is Flinn’s Putting the Ions in Their Hands. At one time, Flinn sold this as a kit; the kit has the cations (positive ions) printed on red card stock, the anions (negative ions) printed on blue card stock, and the Ion Formula Chart printed on yellow card stock. I still print my copies on colored card stock. The kids put together ionic compounds. Below is the video and here is a photo.
Next is a set of Ionic Formula Dice by ChemKate. I made a set described here.
Finally, use Making Ionic Compounds to react, form, and name ionic compounds, as described here. (The original lab link has disappeared. Making Ionic Compounds is similar.) The post has pix.
Below are more images of the paper ion sets.





No comments:
Post a Comment