Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Apologia Chemistry: Periodic Trends
Years ago, I went to a Chemistry conference and another teacher brought a styrofoam model of Periodic Trends. Genius! She mentioned Flinn Scientific's Plotting Trends Activity, which uses straws and reaction plates. I took the idea and adapted it into more of an inquiry based exercise. I assemble a variety of materials, such as toothpicks, straws, markers, clay, etc. and distribute paper plates and copies of a periodic table shrunk to fit a paper plate. Next, each group gets a different trend to model and may use color, toothpicks, etc. to model the trend. Students must be able to define and explain their trend, their choice of materials, and a key. Friendly Chemistry has a similar exercise using playdough, spaghetti, and a periodic table. This time, my kids are getting reaction plates, clay, and straws to model these trends: atomic radius, electronegativity, electron affinity, metallic and nonmetallic character, and first ionization energy, with a summary of the trends. Here is a fun game to reinforce the trends. I have a set of Flinn's Periodic Chart Lab; NASA has a set of cards which are part of a unit on the Periodic Table, which students can arrange into groups, if your students needs a bit more study of the Periodic Table. Our next class is going to be packed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment