The Chemistry Co-op completed the Periodic Trends in Module Nine. We used the idea from Flinn's Plotting Trends lab. The kids used the charts and other resources I mentioned in the last post and each identified a different trend: first ionization energy, atomic Radius, electronegativity, electron affinity, and metallic and nonmetallic character. We went over a couple trends together before they created their own models. I gave the kids reaction plates, straws, Crayola's Model Magic clay (on sale at Five Below), scissors, and rulers. After completing their models, the kids took turns explaining the concept, defining the trends, and defending their models. The next post has a video of on of the kids demonstrating and explaining his model.
Friday, March 27, 2015
Apologia: Chemistry Periodic Trends Module Eight
The Chemistry Co-op completed the Periodic Trends in Module Nine. We used the idea from Flinn's Plotting Trends lab. The kids used the charts and other resources I mentioned in the last post and each identified a different trend: first ionization energy, atomic Radius, electronegativity, electron affinity, and metallic and nonmetallic character. We went over a couple trends together before they created their own models. I gave the kids reaction plates, straws, Crayola's Model Magic clay (on sale at Five Below), scissors, and rulers. After completing their models, the kids took turns explaining the concept, defining the trends, and defending their models. The next post has a video of on of the kids demonstrating and explaining his model.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment