Friday, March 6, 2015
Apologia and WA: Physical Science Forces
After the kids create a concept map I check it and ask them to explain their reasoning. I review terms, formulas, and units orally with the kids frequently, such as asking for the unit for velocity or acceleration. Usually, I would do a series of fun labs or activities before tackling problem sets. This material is Physics and hard! The formulas, symbols, and ideas slip out of their minds like sieves. So, I promise the activities after some problem sets. We allow notes and calculators; I bring out a set and allow the kids to use cell phone calculators, too. Now is the time to explain that p is the symbol for momentum and that a Newton is a unit of force. My kids are plowing through this Physical Science Forces and Motion Worksheet. I use similar problem sets as quizzes, too. The problems take time to calculate, review, and correct. The kids work at different speeds. As the kids finish, I circle incorrect problems to recalculate, including the correct units. This process allows me to work individually and monitor progress. Typically, a strong student will finish quickly and then help another class mate who is struggling. Now, the kids can do a bunch of fun activities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment