Saturday, July 9, 2016
Summer is the time to do Science Fair!
Somehow, kids have the idea their science projects have to be dull. Not so. I used to make all of my Chemistry students do a science project for Science Fair. Every single kid. I had very few exceptions or kids who just wouldn't do the project. (Part of the reason kids did their projects was that the alternative assignment was terrible; I'd let kids who had completed Science Fair projects write the rubric for the alternative project, basically a history of science.) Kids were always surprised when I suggested something that aligned with their interests. For example, why not do a project on distracted driving? You can simulate it with car racing games on an X-box or play station. There are several variations: texting, phoning, playing on apps. There's plenty of studies available, too. Which is worse, talking or texting? What about music or drinking a soft drink and driving? Basically, kids can design distracted driving simulations in the den. Any human study should have 30 participants. Kids need to decide if the participants will all be teens or a mix of folks different ages. Focus on one factor. Isn't this fun? The science is sound; kids will learn plenty about experimental design, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment