Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Chemistry Resources

 First, stick with your chemistry textbook!  I use the second edition of Exploring Creation with Chemistry. The kids get a sound foundation.  Now, I love hands-on activities and labs.  I’m an advocate for inquiry-based experiments.  In another life I was a consultant for inquiry-based education.  I’ve been studying The Next Generation Science Standards NGSS and following the Next Generation Science Storylines.  Many Chemistry teachers use Landmark Lesson PlansEnergy Foundations, and InquiryHub.  I like some of the ideas; however, I feel many lessons have been politicized.  Shocking.

Instead, stick with the curriculum from the textbook and add interesting labs.  I like many of the labs in Energy Foundations for High School Chemistry.  Look at Exothermic, Endothermic, and Chemical Change.  What a terrific lesson!  Look at all of the notes!  The labs use household chemicals.  (CaCl2, calcium chloride, is Driveway Heat.) Sub-zero is another energy lab with Calorimetry.  Coffee Cup Calorimetry has lengthy explanations.  (Here is a much briefer lab summary for the coffee cup lab.). 

Here is my point.  Stick with the core Chemistry topics as outlined in Apologia Chemistry.  Supplement as much as your heart desires.  Start with Reaction in a Bag.  Here is Baggie Chemistry with a NGSS spin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hands-on Creation!

 Have you heard of  Hands-on Creation?   I saw their ad on Facebook and just had to share!  Their prices to loan materials are fair.  Take a...