Are you a new Co-op instructor? Many of you teaching science for a Co-op are veteran teachers from private and public schools, just as I am. It’s likely you already have a binder with lab safety tips. New instructors may not be familiar with these resources. One excellent document is from the American Chemical Society (ACS): Guidelines for Chemical Laboratory Safety in Secondary Schools. This guide is probably more than you need; however there is good information about Material Safety Sheets, formerly MSDS. My kids and their families sign Flinn’s Safety Contract. I keep a folder in my classroom. Flinn has a Safety test, too. Texas Gateway has a safety series online I used when I taught remotely during COVID. Here is What Not To Do Lab graphic and Kids, Don’t Try This. Yes, it’s a lot! Follow the links and see which activities are most useful for your group. Lab safety is about common sense, which may or may not be abundance in your class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment