When I teach genetics the kids do blood testing—both ABO and Rh types. The problem is the blood tests are pricey. In another life, a nurse friend or student’s parent could access the blood typing sera. Lately, I’ve used Eldon cards—also pricey. If your family already knows each member’s blood type, consider testing or typing with fake blood. Here is a complete lab, including teacher notes, using milk, food coloring and vinegar. Here is a more expensive lab, using hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, silver nitrate, and barium nitrate. If you teach Chemistry, you may already have these chemicals on hand. FYI silver nitrate is also pricey. Our Co-op consists of a number of large families; often the entire family wants to test blood. If you are testing a big group, buy the anti-sera and a bunch of lancets. Otherwise, the cheapest version with milk and vinegar will suffice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...

No comments:
Post a Comment