Friday, March 20, 2026

Microscopes

Yes, microscopes!  It’s an important topic!  I have a bunch of microscopes.  Some of my Bio classes are large.  My classes experiment with all the different microscopes before the teens land on their favorites. The prices for microscopes, adapters, and USB microscopes have been fairly stable; although better  USB microscopes have risen significantly.  

I have NOT had good luck buying used microscopes, with the exception of a lot purchased as a bid by a friend.  He bid on a huge lot of microscopes, vetted the ones which work, and donated ten to our Co-op.  


These are workhorses!  The microscopes are battery operated: they are portable. The resolution is quite good.   Below is the microscope I bought new and like. I paid $80 at the time.  My favorite brand is Amscope, which has decent quality microscopes priced well. While it is advertised as an introductory microscope, it is suitable for advanced histology.  It has served us well for Advanced Biology, which has quite a bit of histology.



Note the cell phone adaptor on the microscope below.  The kids create digital files of the slides observed. The adapter fits over the ocular lens.






I have microscopes which clip on to cell phones.  The magnification and resolution are only fair.



We have several digital microscopes or USB microscopes.  Again, Amscope has good quality USB microscopes.  The cheaper models are generally junk.  These microscopes do not have the same resolution; however, it’s easier to capture a screenshot of the slide and then spend time sketching.





A USB microscope is affordable.  One note: I have never been able to connect a USB microscope to a cell phone or iPad.  Never.  Usually, the digital microscopes work with any laptop.  Sometimes, they work with Chromebooks.  One reason I like USB microscopes is because kiddos can examine their skin, money, tabletop, etc. without worrying excessively about breaking the microscope, especially since the laptops are hand-me-downs.  Let the kiddos have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...