Tuesday, March 3, 2026

Advanced Biology: Blood Tests

 Update: I checked my records. Below is the blood test kit from Amazon.  It’s typically $35.  The contents are limited, but are sufficient for three small groups today repeat the test twice.  




The Advanced Biology Co-op class is reviewing blood today.  The kids in the class all had Biology.  We’ll see what they remember.  I have an extra Innovating Science blood kit.  (I accidentally bought extra kits last year. I was certain I had purchased kits and hunted hard in the basement for them.  They reappeared behind boxes when I dug out the new kits for the lab last year.  The Young Explorers Human Anatomy got a kit, too.)  Here is a DIY ABO blood test, which uses milk, vinegar, and food coloring.  Here is a Histology image of blood.  Microscope slides of blood have been stained.  However, you may want to make a blood smear slide.  (Private and public schools seldom do blood smears or test blood owing to OSHA rules regarding blood-borne pathogens.). We used the kit for small groups today.  Below are photos from the blood test lab scenario.

Here is the test kit we used today. (I believe I bought it unused from Amazon.).  Below it is the kit from HST.  Below them are pix from class today.











No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...