Monday, March 2, 2026

Rocks!

 Good Will has an unusual number of rock and mineral collections available online.  My preference is for collections which are labeled with their identification.  Because I teach secondary science (Biology and Chemistry), I’ve been assigned Earth Science to teach.  I don’t have any background in Earth Science or Geology.  Just like you, private and public school teachers have to teach outside their area.  For some reason, principals believe if you can teach science, you can teach any science subject.  I drew the line at Physics.  Physical Science is fine—not Physics.  I survived teaching the Geology portion with labeled samples.  Here, here and here are useful rocks’ and minerals’ labs.  Here is a slide deck explaining the different rock and mineral tests.  Make your own DIY Mineral Test Kit.  If you scroll to the bottom of the pix, there is a commercial rock set and mineral ID kit.  You can use an unglazed tile to measure streak.













 

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...