There are several good science kits you can assemble yourself. However, they usually involve cutting, which can be time consuming if you need several sets for Co-op. Print these now. When your kiddo complains just how bored she is, enlist her help cutting. I have stacks of diy Instructional Kits for my science classes.
1. Biology: The Lynx Eats the Hare is described in this blog post. Copy several sheets for each set. Cut out the tiny hare and mount the Lynx on to a bigger card. I stuff sets into smaller envelopes contained in large envelopes, marked in large letters.
2. Biology: DNA Sentences can be cut into strips—which are much less intimidating! Here is another version of DNA Sentences—with an answer key. Say it with DNA is very detailed and has several keys. The goal is to transcript and translate DNA into proteins.
3. Biology: Create concept maps. Here are the ecology terms used to create the concept map below. Yes! Writing the same terms over and over is a big pain! Same money and cut the index cards in half. Below is random card stock I had on hand and cut into squares.
4. Biology: Food webs! Use pix (the one below is from the biology group on social media) to create food webs. HHMI’s Bioactive Creating Chains and Webs has pix (and a strong political bias). No, I do not laminate cards or pix in my kits.
5. Chemistry: Putting Ions in Their Hands is the best means I have found to teach ionic formulas. I printed the ions on red and blue card stock (just like red and blue litmus paper). Cut away!








No comments:
Post a Comment