Okay, I’m already in a countdown to fall. I’m on a mission to get you to do some science experiments! I understand how important it is to get your kiddo to read, write, and do math. Fundamentals have to take priority. Could you institute a monthly Friday Fun Day! and plan a morning of experiments? No, it’s not cheating to select experiments which aren’t messy at all. Below are three good archives full of experiments. I shop at these sites for ideas for science camp. Below are the archives with a selection of low-mess experiments—mostly.
Steve Spangler has water crystals, Diving Ketchup, Coin Tower, Shrinking Chip Bag, and Mysterious Colors—all clean experiments. Another favorite is The Spinning Penny. There are pages and pages in the archives. Spangler has a video archive, too.
Science Bob has a similar archive of experiments. For example, Dancing Popcorn has instructions and an embedded video. (Raisins and spaghetti will dance, too.) Science Bob has edible experiments such as A Density Experiment You Can Drink or Ice Cream in a Plastic Bag. These can be a little messy. Produce these experiments (or Edible Aquifer) when you want to raise your polls and prove you’re a fun mom!
Have you ever heard of Shakashiri? His archive is Science is Fun; here is the YouTube channel link. Shakashiri used to put on annual Christmas shows, Once Upon a Christmas Cheery, from the Lab of Shakashiri. I just ignored some of his rants in the videos and focused on fun experiments. Here’s an instructor’s guide, if you feel ambitious. (I have this set of demos.) Fizzing and Foaming is a classic and a little messy!
The Experiment Archive has labs for any science subject: Warm and Cold Plates, Water Whistle, and Straw Propeller are all clean experiments.
NASA Space Place has UV Handprint, Fan of the Earth’s Layers, Oreo Moon Phases, and Moon Habitat. The NASA activities are uniformly great. Often there is a video or template.

No comments:
Post a Comment