Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Instant Lesson: Light and Color

 My approach to science with kiddos is open-ended, which can be triggering to my Type-A friends.  I like to open with an activity, ask a few questions, and generate more exploration.  I had a student who couldn’t stand this approach.  She summarized lessons, typed outlines, made copies, and distributed them to the class.  Alison was twelve at the time.  Below is a mix of fun activities and lessons, such as What is Color? and Oak Ridge Lab’s Light and Color and activities. 

1. Montessori uses a Color Box; the page has all the colors. Here is a primary presentation; Montessori calls their lessons ‘presentations’.  Alternatively, use Color Box 1Color Box 2, and Color Box 3.  I respect Montessori education; it’s just not my style.

2. Light goes with Art!  Explore Art and Artists from Start with a Book.  One of the activities is Sidewalk Chalk.  Make Chalk Paint primary colors and blend them.   Dick Blick has lessons: Color Paste Color Wheel,  It’s ComplementaryColor Collecting Kit, and Stained Glass.  Let your budding artist go wild.

3. Another collection is Science Trek’s Light and Color. One example in this collection is a light video and DIY Kaleidoscope.  There are loads of levels of instruction—everything from Optics for Kids to The Physics Classroom: Light.  The Exploratorium has Science Snacks: Light. Try Hole in Your Hand.   I think most of these activities are more germane to a physics class.  Hey!  If you’re planning to teach Physics, you’re in luck!

4. JPL’s The Science of Color is more my speed.  The lesson uses colorful water beads and sheets of colorful cellophane.  I’m using this next year for Camp!  

5. Light and Color is an article explaining the basic physics of light and color.  Explore UV Beads.  Scroll to the bottom of the page, below the video, for more lessons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instant Lesson: Light and Color

 My approach to science with kiddos is open-ended, which can be triggering to my Type-A friends.  I like to open with an activity, ask a few...