Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Exploratorium

Many families do not use a formal, science program with their elementary-age children.   I have a family friend on a wait-list for a science Co-op; she is expecting her seventh child and doesn’t have the bandwidth to do experiments at home.  However, even if you do not use a science program, such as the Young Explorers series you can still do science experiments!  Plan Friday Fun Day!  Create a week of science camp during your Christmas or Easter break.  See if you can recruit a grandparent willing to help plan experiments.  

Want loads and loads of ideas?  Try the ExploratoriumScience Snacks and Special Snack Collections. Try Secret Bells,Remote Control Roller, or Head Harp.  

Years ago, the Exploratorium published three books.  These three books can add a lot of science to your portfolio: Pringles Pinhole, Root-Copter! (pattern), and Bee Hummer are in the books.  It can be difficult to locate all of the experiments online.  Here are several of the experiments from The Science Explorer—which I think is the best of the three books.  Yes, I use many, many of these experiments at Science Camp.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Instant Lesson: Light and Color

 My approach to science with kiddos is open-ended, which can be triggering to my Type-A friends.  I like to open with an activity, ask a few...