Ask any science teacher about eye protection and you are likely to get an earful. Science instructors have strong opinions about the best eyewear for labs. Here is my opinion. The best eyewear is the one kiddos will wear. I have a bin of colorful safety glasses. Goggles are even safer. Will kiddos wear them? Maybe? Sometimes? BTW, I dilute chemicals, use household chemicals, and rarely use strong acids or bases. Why? Much safer—especially until I can train everyone to keep their safety glasses on their faces.
I’ve taught many students, many years; teens hate goggles; once trained, they will wear safety glasses. Problem solved. How are students trained? The first time I catch a student without his safety glasses in lab, he must clean up all of the lab stations for the entire class. Yes, I encourage the others to leave a big mess. If the issue persists, the consequences increase. I keep a list of unpleasant chores: vacuuming, cleaning toilets, sorting kits, and mopping the floor. My teens walk out the door wearing their safety glasses. See? The key is training.
If your child tolerates goggles—fine! Use them. Some folks compromise with larger safety glasses with side shields. Buy whatever pair your kiddo will wear. (VBS has be chanting many rhymes.) BTW, prescription eye glasses are usually just fine. I offer safety glasses which fit over, but don’t require them.







No comments:
Post a Comment