Monday, July 27, 2026

TOPS Learning Systems

 As both an instructor and as an evaluator, I’ve encountered many different approaches to home-school curricula.  Some families use online programs, such as The Good and the Beautiful, BJU, or Kolbe Academy.  Other families use a program and supplement with Co-op classes.  Still others forge ahead and devise their own curriculum entirely.  

Do you prefer to create your own curriculum?  You might like TOPS for science, especially Global TOPS.  The program is easy to implement and uses simple materials, such as tape, aluminum foil, and clothespins.  TOPS has elementary,  middle, and high school books.  Whenever I taught Physical Science, I pulled out the TOPS Electricity and Magnetism books and a box of materials; the class worked through the experiments in the books as their lessons for that unit. I asked if they got an experiment to work. The kiddos showed me their results.  What was the point? What did they learn?   Here and here are sample labs.  Here and here are materials lists.  There are few special materials, such as bell wire, ceramic magnets, or flashlight bulbs.  Scrounge the junk drawer for rubber-bands, paper clips, tape, etc.  The classes had to do some troubleshooting, which I thought was also useful I terms of their science education.


Used books are widely available.




Many of the topics can be used for all grades, such as Perfect Balance.


The Physics I and Physics II are probably the best of the TOPS materials.  Do several of the free labs and read instructions before you buy any of the books—new or used.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instant Lesson: Light and Color

 My approach to science with kiddos is open-ended, which can be triggering to my Type-A friends.  I like to open with an activity, ask a few...