I have loads of chemical reaction labs from years of teaching Chemistry. But, I’ve been looking for more small scale and green chemical reactions. Why? Green chemicals are frequently household chemicals.
One topic in Module 4 is Chemical Reaction vs Physical Change. This lab, Chemical or Physical Change?, uses, citric acid, yeast, sodium carbonate ( Na2CO3) (washing Soda), baking soda, sparklers, (NaHCO3) calcium chloride (CaCl2) (Driveway Heat), vinegar, Kool-aid, and steel wool. (Urea is another chemical used. I use the materials I have on hand. I have everything but urea.). This is a good lab.
This Chemical Reactions lab requires the following: magnesium ribbon, steel wool, HCl, hydrochloride acid, nail, copper chloride, copper sulfate or blue stone (Some hardware stores sell blue stone or copper sulfate as root killer.), potassium carbonate, Sodium carbonate, Na2CO3 ( washing soda), calcium chloride CaCl2 ( Driveway Heat), calcium oxide (quicklime), copper wire, and calcium carbonate chips. I plan to add some of these reactions to an introduction to chemical reactions lab.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment