Update: I had another idea for Camp: molecular modeling kits with clay and toothpicks. We can make and color our clay and use play dough. Carbon atoms are usually black, oxygen blue, hydrogen white, and Halogens green. This activity is a good place to start.
Earlier I posted an overview of Mad Science with a basic science kit. The kits are going to build their own equipment. We’ll test a soda straw balance, a plastic hangar scale, a no tools scale, a microbalance, a rubber and spring scale, and this scale. I’ll plan a play date, dig out materials, and have young friends test several designs for scales. We’ll save three for camp. (Teens might like this micrometer caliper diy. Alternately, teens may scream and pull out their hair.). Calibrate your scales with coins. Note that some of the ideas below are more realistic for camp than others. We plan to try several balances, cylinders, and thermometers.
Basic equipment: balance, graduated cylinders, magnifier, test tube rack, and specimen box.
Make diy graduated cylinders for the kits.
Make thermometers or this easy thermometer. (Directions are here.). Yet another thermometer? Test thermometers in hot, warm, cold, and ice-cold bowls to report the changes.
Microscope? Another microscope? Add-on microscope for smart phone? Clip on microscope? ($5.99 for smartphone)
Make a rain gauge. Make a weather station. Barometer? Psychrometer?
Hydrometer? Another hydrometer?
Densiometer?
Clinometer?
Paper funnel?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment