Thursday, December 26, 2019

Apologia Chemistry: Calorimetry

Our Co-op class postponed Calorimetry and Thermodynamics until spring, just before we study Gas Laws.  eBay has a calorimetry set for $17.99. Look at the materials carefully.  The kit has styrofoam cups and three metals for Specific Heat labs. (Here are more detailed instructions.). When I do specific heat labs, I use density cubes, copper shot, iron nails, and lead fishing lures.  You can heat the beakers of water on an electric burner or stove top—flame isn’t necessary. It helps to have at least two thermometers, one for hot water and one for the calorimeter.

You may want to try a soda can calorimeter with dry food such as chips or crackers.  I like to do both types of calorimetry if time permits.  So the original calorimetry set on eBay is a good price; I generally just put styrofoam cups with lids into glass beakers with good results.  You may want to test paper cups with styrofoam cups.  Which has a higher percent error?

I am always tempted by scientific equipment.  I had calorimetry sets when I taught in private and public schools.  I do not believe they are worth the investment or I would buy that set!  Instead, I put my money into extra thermometers and glass beakers with more general applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...