I was trolling for science ideas and ran across Sew Smart. The idea is to sew electric circuits—here are detailed instructions and background information. The Tinkering Lab (Exploratorium) has more instructions to sew plush toys which light. We have had mixed luck at our house with circuits. We tried Paper Circuits, Squishy Circuits, Makey Makey, and conductive ink pens. If you want to do something poorly, go all in! For the record, Makey Makey and Squishy Circuits are easy and work. Snap Circuits are essential to introduce simple circuits.
Here’s the deal. My husband, Rob, is super smart; he understands math and physics intuitively. But, for some reason, he is defeated by electricity. (We both volunteer to do taxes with AARP. Rob has trouble with ‘qualifying child’, too.). I taught Physical Science many times and can handle simple circuits. I like the idea of sewing circuits. If we decide to try we’ll go with this kit. The activity requires magnetic snaps, conductive thread, sewable coin battery holders, and led light holders. We might as well buy a kit. I do know that manipulating circuits is the way to teach electricity. I like Tops Science Electricity. I provide the materials and the kids work through the core activities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment