I love Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry. I try to fit in an Organic unit in my chemistry classes. I include a bit of biochemistry in Biology and Human Biology. I have several kits. Frequently Good Will has molecular kits. (This listing is for molecular geometry or VESPR. Models like this one are often listed on Good Will, eBay, and Amazon. Models are about $20 per set.). Most of these sets serve one student. I use Lab-aids Molecules of Life in my biology classes to introduce macromolecules, such as carbohydrates, fats, and amino acids, and proteins. These kits are pricey at $125-$140. I made the investment because I use the kits every year with Co-op classes.
This kit, at $6.99, is a good choice for one student. Note that hydrogen atoms are usually white, not orange. It helps the kid to build molecules as they learn how to write name organic molecules. If you would like to make your own kit, use clay and this guide. Carbon atoms in modeling kits is usually black with four holes to make four bonds. Each toothpick represents one pair of electrons. Clay and toothpicks allow student to make single, double, or triple bonds. Here is a good introductory lesson with clay and toothpick models. Carbon is usually black, oxygen blue, and hydrogen white. Have fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment