Update: I want the kids to learn how to write a lab report; however, I don’t want them to hate lab. One of my colleagues had a good method. He assigned one piece of the lab report. I’m going to do that for this lab. The kids love all of the reactions. I hat to spoil the fun. Instead, I’ll assign the materials or procedures sections. The kids will write using the third person, present tense, active voice, and indicative mood—but just one paragraph of materials or procedures. Some of my kids struggle with writing. If writing is hard, the child can rewrite the lab instructions and convert them into the third person. I’ll ask the kids for samples to post.
The kids did the Types of Chemical Reactions lab. Last Thursday, the kids learned how to identify five types of reactions. Today, they reacted and observed several types of reactions. Fun! I do not tell the kids which reaction is which: single, double replacement, synthesis, decomposition, and combustion.
This lab requires a great deal of instruction. As the kids gently heat the test tube, they should move the Pyrex or borosilicate test tube in and out of the flame. A tea candle is sufficient to heat sodium bicarbonate and copper II sulfate crystals. I demonstrate heating a test tube and pointing the mouth of the test tube away from oneself or others. The wooden test splints are wooden stir sticks. Heating sodium bicarbonate produces carbon dioxide, which extinguishes a burning splint. MnO2 and 3 % hydrogen peroxide produce oxygen gas and is tested with a GLOWING splint. The oxygen gas ignites with a glowing splint. HCl (1M) and magnesium ribbon produce hydrogen gas and a squeaky pop. Remind the kids to record detailed observations. We did not use 2 grams of magnesium ribbon; instead we used 2-3 cm of ribbon.
Thursday, we’ll predict the products and write balanced reactions for each. This is a good lab to use to practice writing a formal lab report. (See below.)
Lab Report Rubric
1. ________ (10 points) Title of lab report
2. ________ (10 points) Background information (Use the third person, present tense, and active voice.)
3. ________ (10 points) Materials listed in paragraph format.
4. ________ (10 points) Procedures described in paragraph format. Use the third person, past tense, and active voice.
5. ________ (10 points) Data Table
6. ________ (10 points) Results. Use paragraph format and state what happened. Include the percent error.
7. ________ (10 points) Conclusion. What happened? Discuss the percent error and possible sources of error.
8. ________ (10 points) Correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
9. ________ (10 points) Use of third person, present tense, and active voice.
10. ________ (10 points) Cite all sources of information including the textbook and the lab packet.
No comments:
Post a Comment