I was planning events for Mad Science Camp with objects which fluoresce. I’ve never down a chemistry lab with chemiluminescence, thermochromic pigments, or photochromic pigments. I have UV or solar-active beads. I would like to make slime polymers and add pigments to test. It would be fun to test glow sticks to introduce reaction rates. I could bring in substances which fluoresce under a UV flashlight, such as tonic water. These activities coincide with Light Energy. When I teach electron configurations, I review the electromagnetic spectrum and a brief history of the development of Quantum Theory. Chemiluminescence dovetails well.
A student added photochromic pigment to sunscreen. The sunscreen changes color when it’s time to reapply. Look at this ChemMatters article about sun glasses. Here is an article explaining thermochromic paper or heat-sensitive paper. I need to read this article about special-effect pigments carefully before I organize the lab.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment