Thursday, December 19, 2019
Apologia Chemistry: Coins and Percent Composition
Percent Composition with Coins lab helps kids understand three different aspects of an empirical formula. The demo uses three quarters, three dimes, and three nickels. Each coin is 1/3 of the total coins. The kids can determine the percent each coin represents of the total money. Lastly, the kids can determine the percent by mass of the coins of the total coins by weighing them. After Christmas, I'm going to do this demo/activity with the kids to remind them about moles, percent composition, and mole ratios of elements in compounds. I made up cups with the coins. I think this activity will drive home empirical formulas. We'll see. (The baby bottle has loose change.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment