Wednesday, February 19, 2025

Anatomy on a Budget: Virtual Human Anatomy Labs for Cats and Pigs.

 Traditionally, students dissect a fetal pig or a cat in Anatomy.  However, these specimens are expensive.  Moreover, many, many kids object to dissecting either a baby pig or Fluffy.  (No, I don’t object, personally.  Another teacher was upset when I ordered a cat to dissect.  She was a member of the Humane Society.  She became fairly heated when I explained that the specimens come from animal shelters.  I did NOT go on to explain that fetal pigs come from slaughterhouses.). 

1. Here are fetal pig dissection images.  There are several virtual, fetal pig labs: Virtual Pig Whitman College (nice organization), Texas A&M (slide deck), and San Diego Mesa College Images (both labeled and unlabeled).

2. Fetal Pig Dissection guides: Ward’s, Virtual Pig Dissection Worksheet (written for Whitman’s virtual dissection), and Virtual Pig (no pix).  You could use the unlabeled images with a hefty worksheet and give your kids a real workout!  You may want to have them write a lab report.

3. There are several virtual cat dissections: Anatomy Corner, Virtual Cat, and Kenyon College.

4. There are a few guides available, too: Complete Cat Dissection Guide with Assessment, Wards’s,  Biology Corner, and Lab Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...