Thursday, February 27, 2025

Human Anatomy for Kiddos

 First, let me recommend Apologia’s Human Anatomy from their Young Explorers series.  I taught this course with kids aged six to eleven.  We used both the regular and Junior notebooks.  While I love this curriculum, many families want a low-key program for younger kids, especially kiddos still struggling with reading.  Here we go!

1. Try Anatomy Academy.  I’m still determining this year’s science camp theme.  But it might be Anatomy Academy.  When I do camp with a large group, say 40+ kids, I invite speakers.  We set up rotating stations.  The costs in the budget are for a group of 40.  Have teens in your Co-op take this on as a project.  Create a list of materials needed and ask folks to save recycled materials.  Let the teens lead different stations.  

2.  What about a Montessori approach?  Here is a Human Body Unit Study.  Here are related printables.  Another way to organize your study unit is to create a Human Body Lapbook.  This guide, Human Body Systems, has about 50 questions to use for self-study.  This packet has more templates to use with the lapbook.

3. One of my favorite resources is Adorable Wearables. Aldi’s has paper, grocery bags.


4. Make models: Paper Bag Lungs,  Egg Carton Spine,  Sidewalk Chalk Anatomy ( or chalk outlines),  Human Blood, Human Digestive System Clay Model,  Pasta Skeleton,  Heart For Kids and Human Anatomy in Candy (inspirational images).  Look at 31 Interactive Anatomy Activities  for even more models.

5. Check out a pile of Anatomy books from the library.   Keep a reading log.  Combine the book list with the lapbook.  Don’t forget to take photos for your digital portfolio.




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...