I’m thinking a lot about tech right now. I’m sitting at the Apple Store watching my life bleed away as we restore seven iPads and an iPhone. This is our third trip over the past five days to the Apple Store. Yes! I’ve invested several hours with Apple support, too. I learned that contacting Apple Support from the Apple Store, when the background music was set on pound and associates were training One Single Customer with a Microphone wasn’t the best way to go. How do we use tech?
Largely, tech is a tool—not a mode of instruction. I spend a few minutes at the beginning of Co-op class reviewing assignments or broadcasting a few slides. My husband, Rob, likes to have a set of slides up for Algebra as a guide when he teaches. Otherwise, we use seven iPads and three laptops to write lab reports, take photos of notes or lab results, and create spreadsheets. Occasionally, I’ll let kids use Google to research a term f it isn’t in their textbook or how to create a MLA citation.
I’m a big fan of Google products. I like Classroom because I can load docs, pdf files, slide decks, etc. The kids frequently communicate through Classroom. Some upload their tests or lab reports directly to Classroom. All types of files can be saved to Drive. Yes, I purchased extra storage. We just save everything. Often the kids use a devise in class and just share the doc with their own gmail addresses.
While I like tech, it’s a tool. It doesn’t replace instruction; it supports it.
No comments:
Post a Comment