I’m betting many of you are battling the flu or other nasty viruses. Let’s do a round-up of lessons and resources. I’m starting my Biology series about microbes right after Genetics. This has a good overview about communicable diseases.
1. Let’s start with this Weebly, Viruses, Bacteria, and Diseases. Click on topics for a basic t-chart, Disease Brochure rubric, Dichotomous keys, and a host of good videos.
2. Adopt a disease. Make a brochure, infographic, or poster as in the Infectious Disease Project. I favor Ebola over COVID. I don’t know about you; I’m still tired of all the issues surrounding COVID. Hey, you do you. If COVID is fascinating , there are reams of materials.
3. Here is an Infectious Disease Project which is more of an activity. The kids read about symptoms and determine which infectious disease they have. Use this Communicable Disease Reference with the activity.
4. This slideshow has a good introduction about communicable and infectious diseases. This is a touchy topic. I found a good excerpt from Glencoe; however the chapter had an extensive discussion about STDs, a topic I believe is too sensitive for introductory Biology. I’m a firm believer that parents should determine the scope of any discussion about sexuality and the like. I just don’t.
5. Make a Least Wanted Pathogen Poster. This version has a good list of possible pathogens. However I would retype the list with common names and omit the STDs. Yes, I routinely censor any material I use for class, especially when I like the idea, but not all of the content.
No comments:
Post a Comment