Thursday, February 13, 2025

More Paper Dissections

Yes, there are loads of paper dissections.  The issue is cost.  TPT is dominated by expensive paper dissections such as Origami Organelles. I’m digging for free or low-cost versions.  TPT has an Octopus dissection.  I downloaded it.  Students color the parts and glue them to the Octopus.  Not bad.  I often have kids complete coloring sheets before a dissection to review the parts.  The author, Biology Buff, has several dissections at $2.50 each.  

I found these Spanish Recortables anatomia invertebrados or invertebrate anatomy worksheets, if you don’t mind a bit of translations.  This shark dissection guide has terrific detailed sketches.  I think you can assemble layers from the organs.  Are you familiar with the layers of the human body in the Young Explorers Human Anatomy notebook?  Try to use the shark or fetal pig guide to create layers with transparency sheets.  Usually, when we dissect the grasshopper and crayfish , we focus on the external anatomy.  You may want to use a grasshopper diagram  or crayfish diagram and label the external parts.  Go for extra points and create crawfish and grasshopper origami models to label.  Paper dissections are bordering on my obsession with cheap lab tools.  Why?  I understand how tough it is for families to absorb the costs to home-school their kids.  Many moms sacrifice a career outside the home to focus on raising amazing children instead.  Their budgets are tight.  I get it.  I’ll keep digging.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...