I'm scoping ideas for my Biology class and next year's science camp, Anadomy Academy and Forensics. I think a unit on Human Biology or Anatomy and Physiology should be part of an introductory Biology class. Have you heard of a Flipped Classroom? Our home-school Co-op adopts this approach for its science classes. The students are expected to continue to read their texts and answer questions at home. Khan Academy's Human Biology has instructional videos. BSCS A Human Approach offers a complete textbook. Pages 21-23 explain how to make a scientific sketch. Activities, such as 'Get a Grip' (p. 37), helps kids explore through hands-on labs. I'll reference loads of BSCS activities. (Apologia Biology does a much better job conveying a Christian world view, notably lacking in any of the BSCS series.). Another resource for Human Buology is Active Physics: Medicine, particularly the unit on Sound. Download an App to measure the decibel levels of the music from headphones. Hearing is a big issue for rockers which may appeal to teens. Between next summer's camp and Biology this fall, I'll have loads of ideas to share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Low Prep Labs for the Win!
This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments. Why? Many of you are w...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment