Thursday, July 16, 2015

Wild Science Camp 2015

It's nearly down to the wire!  Next week is VBS, followed by Wild Science Camp.  I spent time prepping both today.   Most of the morning was devoted to VBS.  this afternoon, I spent time sorting the camp goods into boxes and categories. I've been hauling materials from home to the staging room at church.  Things were a disaster!

My young helpers refilled glue bottles, colored a poster, and painted caps.  The kids spray painted painter's hats until they ran out.  The first day of Camp the kids are going to assemble kits, tie dye t-shirts, and paint hats.  But some of the little ones won't be able to finish all of that; I like to have some hats completed. The kits include mini duffle bags to hold the first-aid kit and DVD journal.  I anticipate 40-50 kids and order enough materials for about 60-75.  Then, we're prepared for lost items and the teen helpers can make t-shirts and hats to keep, too.  It is important to take time in advance to sort all of the supplies, take inventory, and count hats, t-shirts, and bags.  

Before camp begins, my teen help will make crafts to assess the level of difficulty and amount of time needed to complete each activity.  Fun, fun fun!  You might ask if seeing things in advance diminishes the experience for the kids who help.  It doesn't.  My help likes to browse my supplies to see what's on the agenda.  I have a bunch of special guests and programs planned to save spa few surprises for them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...