Friday, July 3, 2015

Apologia: Biology Module 14 Plants

Botany can feel flat after Animals.  You might want to move this module to the fall, particularly for the leaf collection.  Experiment 14.2, Leaf Color, lends itself to fall, although, colorful indoor plants or red cabbage leaves can supply the anthocyanins for the lab.  I order red cabbage powder instead of leaves and keep it on hand. I usually extend this lab with some other indicators for fun.  Pull out the microscope and slides!  Require careful sketches.  Demonstrate for the students.  Let's dissect a flower now rather than wait for Experiment 15.1.  See if the florist will donate a few.  Another tip is to ask the local forester or someone from Audubon to lead a hike to identify plants and trees.  The kids can take photos and make note of the common names, research the scientific names, and practice using dichotomous keys in guide books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...