Friday, July 31, 2015
Wild Science Camp: Friday! It's a wrap!
Today was about bugs. Unfortunately, the bee keeper was a no-show. There's always a little glitch. At the last minute, one of the moms asked to teach the life cycle of monarch butterflys. Yes! We set up eight stations: visors, rubbing plates, Clay leaf impressions, DIY stampers, Bee Hummers, Sound Sandwich, Bean bug mosaic, Dragonfly, and the Monarch butterfly lifecycle. These stations were supposed to be fillers for the speaker. Yesterday, after camp, and this morning, I ran over the stations with the teens. The kids practiced making bee hummers and sound sandwiches, the only stations that are tricky. Both were big hits! Marie took on the bean mosaic. I left instructions and teens at the tables. Catherine worked with the teen at the bee hummer station until she got the knack of it. Friday's theme was bugs. So, the mosaic, rubbing plates, coloring pages, and tattoos were all bugs. Too bad no bees. Long experience told me the activities would be over by 11:10--I had the timing almost to the minute. We extended Snack a little-home-made bread followed by cookies, danced, played outside, and resumed the stations. Sure enough, around 11:00, some of the kids were getting restless. The teen boys took the youngest outside for kick ball. My husband led a big hike. The kids had as much time as they desired to finish mosaics or bee hummers. At 11:50, we distributed photos and CD cases to make simple frames, staged clean-up, and sang their favorites one last time. Not bad. A crew spent the afternoon cleaning the Hall and setting up for the wrap party. Food, people, and karaoke! Now that's a party! It's a wrap!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Low Prep Labs for the Win!
This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments. Why? Many of you are w...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment