Friday, July 3, 2015
Apologia: Biology Module 13 Chordates
In an earlier post, I advised instructors to review vertebrates and invertebrates. I would go over the features of a vertebrate again. Finally, we are looking at human anatomy. Once I start dissections, I usually do the entire set over the course of two weeks. Our Co-op meets for three hours; the kids may need two or three sessions to complete all seven speciemens. The frog, rat, and fetal pig are good specimens to prepare for human anatomy. The kids will learn that kidneys lie along the back and the gastro systems aren't so different from ours. You may want to complete all of the dissections before beginning Module 13 or allow some overlap. Your call. The Biology Corner has packets for the remaining specimens. After the kids finish their dissections, have them complete the comparative morphology chart with their dissection specimens as representative species using their notes, text, and packets as references. Through the course of the year, my kids use CER or Claim Evidence Reasoning regularly. One example is to ask if a sea squirt is a vertebrate and have them apply this process when answering. I want my students to get in the habit of writing and supporting their findings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Low Prep Labs for the Win!
This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments. Why? Many of you are w...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment